Thursday, July 06, 2006

Title: Shanghai zoo and Shanghai tandem
(Sabrina writing) John promised tales from the zoo, and I did put together a little entry for my blog http://sabrinatravel.blogspot.com so you can check out pictures there.
Basically, this was no Houston zoo. All that safety stuff we are concerned about in the states--attacks by gorillas, etc--they don't seem so worried about here. You really can "become one with nature"--more than likely by becoming a snack. But check out my blog for details.

Mostly I was so excited to be riding around town on my sassy bike (no pictures yet) that we bought from the 5-story Carrefour store. It's like a Target/WalMart/Sam's/mall all rolled into one. It's a pretty neat place!

As for other adventures. . I went on my first solo trip to the grocery store today. I have a basket on the front of my bike and attached one on the back so I could stock up. If you have never tried to go to the grocery store on your bicycle, I strongly recommend it. It really makes you think about what you need and want to carry home. I've given up on bottles of wine--the last one almost leaped out of the basket onto the street and that would have been rather traumatic--I don't need any more help drawing attention to myself!

So I left the apartment at 8AM thinking I would be later than "rush hour". Not so! I turned on to the bike lane and it was a total sea of bikes and angry scooter drivers--they certainly are aggressive and like to use their horns! But I did make it to the grocery--was almost hit by a bus but I was paying attention and got out of the way!

Did my shopping and then there was the task of getting everything on the bike in a safe manner--you don't want your bananas to go flying! It was a tight fit, but everything found its place and I was off. And then it started to sprinkle. Argh! Of course, the only street between the apartment and the grocery that doesn't have a crosswalk (not that anyone really pays attention to the Walk/Don't Walk signs. . ) is the one by the grocery--so I waited forever for safe passage in the rain. By the time I got home it was dry again. Whew! A fun adventure.

I've noticed that the more I'm here and doing "local" things--like riding a bike--I get more stares. Nothing unfriendly--just people a little suprised to see a westerner not in a cab or touristy spot.

But nothing compares to the stares we got on the "Shanghai tandem". . . . while this deserves and entry to itself, I'll include it here. Every bike here has a rack on the back for books, your lock, etc. Well, the thing to do here is to give your friend a ride around town on this rack. Some sit "side-saddle" and some just straddle the rack and let their feet hang.

When John and I set out for the Carrefour (maybe 2 miles away??) to buy me a bike, we employed the Shanghai tandem and got the best, open-mouthed stares yet! It was great! First I tried the side saddle approach but my American hips are a little too wide, so I sat straight on. The only hitch--my feet more than drug the ground, so I struggled to hug the wheel hub bolts with my feet. (What this country really needs are some sweet pegs). After a shaky start we were on our way and cruisin' to the bike store. I mentioned this in my e-mail to the group, but it is not a cushioned ride and not all that comfortable!!! But we made it and I got my bike and rode myself home on my nice and cushioned seat!

Well, I think I've blogged enough for one day. We're hoping to book a day trip this weekend to see another town known for its canals and silk. Hoping to have more adventures soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home