Alright, here's the thing, I know I promised more photos I just haven't had any time to take them. But today is Friday, and while I will be working all weekend, I will make it out and take a few photographs while I'm at it.
I plan on working the majority of Saturday, but my afternoon plans will get me out and around town. After I get out of work on Saturday my driver (not really my driver, my' boss's driver who I get to borrow for the afternoon) is going to drop me off at the mall so I can buy a bicycle. I kind of felt it out for two weeks, but decided a bike will be a perfectly safe way to quickly get around town. Especially on the weekends when I need to run to the store (which is a 30 minute walk) or run grab something to eat (all the good places, 30 minutes walk away) or just see the town. Anyway, I am looking forward to purchasing a Chinese bicycle, they're cheap (~$30 US), so when I leave, I'll just make someones day by giving it to them.
Anyway, on to today's lunch. After my near death by frog, I was hesitant at first to go back to the local cuisine. I did however, decide that it was safe as long as I brought a Chinese guide. Simplist way to do that, grab one of the Chinese co-workers and offer to buy them lunch if they show you a good place to eat and do all the ordering. What you end up with is a good safe meal and a new friend. I have decided I like the noodles the best, they make them right there in front of you from dough in a process of hand drawing that you just have to see to understand. They plop the freshly drawn noodles into a big pot of boiling water for a few minutes, then take them out and serve them right up. Best dang noodles you'l ever taste!
That being said, today I got to experience some other traditional Chinese foods. The work team (about 10 of us) went to lunch at a local restaurant. The food is all served family style on a large lazy susan in the middle of the table and everyone just picks a bite of what they want off the middle. By the end of the whole thing you end up stuffed because you were so focused on picking that you didn't notice how much you actually ate one bite at a time. Anyway, here's what was ordered (and eaten):
- Pigs ear (shredded and very good)
- Pig intestine (spicy and VERY good)
- Pig toes (didn't try, not for a lack of interest, just didn't get the chance)
- Spicy chicken bites (so dang spicy your mouth went numb)
- Stuffed Lotus (??? Dont know what the hell that is, but it tastes good)
- Whole fish (you just picked a bite right off the bone, tasty enough I guess, the eye was the first thing plucked and eaten)
- Peanuts in Sauce (so good I filled up on them despite everything else)
- Duck liver (also one I ate a lot of, it was tasty!)
- Duck (carved up right in front of you, much tastier than any duck I've had)
- All other varieties of pork.
Obviously I didn't leave hungry!
Well I guess that's about it for today. I hope everyone is doing great!
I plan on working the majority of Saturday, but my afternoon plans will get me out and around town. After I get out of work on Saturday my driver (not really my driver, my' boss's driver who I get to borrow for the afternoon) is going to drop me off at the mall so I can buy a bicycle. I kind of felt it out for two weeks, but decided a bike will be a perfectly safe way to quickly get around town. Especially on the weekends when I need to run to the store (which is a 30 minute walk) or run grab something to eat (all the good places, 30 minutes walk away) or just see the town. Anyway, I am looking forward to purchasing a Chinese bicycle, they're cheap (~$30 US), so when I leave, I'll just make someones day by giving it to them.
Anyway, on to today's lunch. After my near death by frog, I was hesitant at first to go back to the local cuisine. I did however, decide that it was safe as long as I brought a Chinese guide. Simplist way to do that, grab one of the Chinese co-workers and offer to buy them lunch if they show you a good place to eat and do all the ordering. What you end up with is a good safe meal and a new friend. I have decided I like the noodles the best, they make them right there in front of you from dough in a process of hand drawing that you just have to see to understand. They plop the freshly drawn noodles into a big pot of boiling water for a few minutes, then take them out and serve them right up. Best dang noodles you'l ever taste!
That being said, today I got to experience some other traditional Chinese foods. The work team (about 10 of us) went to lunch at a local restaurant. The food is all served family style on a large lazy susan in the middle of the table and everyone just picks a bite of what they want off the middle. By the end of the whole thing you end up stuffed because you were so focused on picking that you didn't notice how much you actually ate one bite at a time. Anyway, here's what was ordered (and eaten):
- Pigs ear (shredded and very good)
- Pig intestine (spicy and VERY good)
- Pig toes (didn't try, not for a lack of interest, just didn't get the chance)
- Spicy chicken bites (so dang spicy your mouth went numb)
- Stuffed Lotus (??? Dont know what the hell that is, but it tastes good)
- Whole fish (you just picked a bite right off the bone, tasty enough I guess, the eye was the first thing plucked and eaten)
- Peanuts in Sauce (so good I filled up on them despite everything else)
- Duck liver (also one I ate a lot of, it was tasty!)
- Duck (carved up right in front of you, much tastier than any duck I've had)
- All other varieties of pork.
Obviously I didn't leave hungry!
Well I guess that's about it for today. I hope everyone is doing great!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home