Saturday, June 24, 2006

In all the expat books you read before taking an international assignment in a place like Shanghai, some of the most frequent advice given is that as a Westerner, find opportunities to really get to know the nationals in the country you are visiting. In Shanghai it would be especially easy to have a social network of all Westerners, where you eat at establishments that cater towards the expat population, but as all the books point out, you end up missing part of the cultural experience of living in a foreign country... I couldn't agree more. That's why I bought a bike to get myself around town, ate frog meat at the local joint across from my apartment, and have now participated in one of the most popular Friday after-work social activities in urban China. What could this be,,, nothing less than a visit to the Karaoke bar!

You know how popular the Karaoke is in China when you are asked if you enjoy it within minutes of meeting someone. Lucky for me, my response was that I enjoy karaoke just fine, thusly resulting in an invitation to go out with a group from work (all Chinese except me) on Friday evening. I also need to mention that I had just happened to bring my camera to work that day, so bonus, I would be able to have photographic evidence of the fun!

Let me tell you, if you have ever wanted to feel like a rock star, go sing karaoke as the only white guy in a room full of Chinese karaoke fans! But before I get to the singing, I'll talk about the set-up of the establishment real quick. When I was first invited to go sing karaoke, I pictured a big bar packed full of people, you get your name on the list for a chance to sing, but mostly you sat around and drank, the typical American set-up. With the Chinese version of Karaoke a group reserves a room, food is brought in, beer is brought in, and there is a karaoke set up there in this room for your group to use, and man does it get used! So there you are, in a room about the size of a typical homes living room, eating, drinking and singing,,, sounds like a party to me! Well as the only American at this shindig, I was expected to sing any American tune that my hosts could find in the catalog of mostly Chinese songs, and did they ever find some songs for me to sing! A few popular songs from America that I was expected to sing included "Country Roads" by John Denver, "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers, "House of the Rising Sun," and the song from the movie "Titanic" by Celine Dione. The way I looked at it, I was being given all the beer and food I wanted, so why not give them the show they wanted.

All in all, it was a blast getting. One important thing I did learn about social outings with my Chinese hosts is that it is the hosts job to make sure any time a guest finishes his his drink (in this case beer) it is immediately replaced with another. Bottom line is, if your done drinking for the evening, leave a half full drink in front of you so that it is not replaced.

Anyway, I have included a few pictures, I hope everyone enjoys them.

Okay, this picture shows the general set up. As you can see by all the food and drink, this group knows how to have a good time. The picture below is me sining "House of the Rising Son", as I mentioned, I ended up singning about 15 songs that night, not really because I wanted to, but more because the group expected it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home