Saturday, July 01, 2006

Okay, promised it on Saturday, delivered on Sunday, 6-10 of my "Best Of" from the first three weeks.

With that, I will make one side noted, Saturday was a very exciting and full day as we actually got to get out and do some sightseeing. As soon as I finish this post, I'll begin work on the first true "Sight seeing" blog from the trip. As Sabrina was with me, MANY pictures were taken. It was a full day and we saw a lot, so everyone really has something to look forward to. I hope to have that post up by this evening.

Anyway, on with the finally of the 10 best things from the first 3 weeks.

6. The weather,,, it reminds me of Houston in the Summer. Okay, it maybe a little warmer and a little more muggy here, but it keeps me from being too homesick for Houston.

7. The 8:1 conversion rate. It's not often you get to carry around a fat roll 100's in your pocket, but when that roll of 1000 RMB only equals about $120 US, its reasonable.

8. The traffic. It's crazy, but somehow they keep it flowing in a way that probably wouldn't be possible in the US. Traffic rules are regarded more as "suggestions" here. If there is no oncoming traffic, and your stuck in traffic going one way, Chinese drivers automatically jump into empty oncoming lanes in order to ease gridlock. Traffic lights are only paid attention to when there is traffic, if there is no other traffic, what is the point of doing anything more that slowing down slightly for that red light. You really just have to see it to believe it.

9. Blackout curtains. As it gets light here at 4AM, all bedrooms are outfitted with blackout curtains to allow you to sleep to a normal time. Pull those tight and you've got no worries after a long night of karaoke.

10. For the final item of my "Top Ten from the First Three Weeks" I have to give credit to the Chinese people. I've done a little bit of traveling this year from Canada, to England to Holland to Poland, and the Chinese are definitely the most tolerant and hospitable towards foreigners. It really makes a pleasant experience out of what could be a terrifying one. I just can't say enough to describe the hospitality I have been shown here in my first three weeks, it has been amazing. Even random shop owners and people on the street are very tolerant of Westerners, once again, making the whole experience a little easier.

Well that's it for my first top ten. The official 1st months wrap up will come out in the next week or so. As I am actually now getting out and around town now, that may include a little more of the local culture and "things to see." I also haven't covered Chinese food as of yet, that will take a whole blog, there really is a lot to it!

Well I hope everyone is enjoying the blog. I was short on photos this week, so you got the top 10 instead, but as mentioned, with Sabrina now here, expect many more photographs!

Okay, I'll cover the "Coming Attractions" one more time. Keep checking back for the latest.

Due up in the following days are:

Saturdays big adventure around town - LOTS of pictures, this will be a good one and may include inserts from a guest author.

Chinese food in review. A short lesson on the culinary adventure that is China.

First month in Review - More thoughts and goings on from the East.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home