Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Okay, I know it's been a few days since I posted my last update on things over here in Shanghai, and I know I keep saying that I will try and post more frequently, but the thing you have to understand is that there is something in the water over here that makes the days fly by! Well, it's either the water or the 10 - 12 hour work days, bottom line is, I can't believe I've almost been here a month! I'll wait until the official 1 month "in-country" date to give the official month in review, but today I will give the "best of so far" report. The following is my "10 best" of the trip so far, in order from very best to 10 is a lot so this one made the list. Please keep in mind that I haven't had a chance to get out much yet, that's why Starbucks made the list and not the Great Wall of China (haven't been there yet).

1. Sabrina arriving in Shanghai! Sabrina made it in last night. She had a nice flight in Business First Class, and is home resting today. Of course, I say resting, she was up at 4AM due to the time change; awake, energized, excited and ready to go! Being already adjusted to the time change, I was just awake at 4AM.

Side note I had to share. Upon seeing Sabrina at the airport I threw my arm into the air to wave, in the process of getting my arm in the air I accidentally smacked the heck out of some little old Chinese man. Caught him right in the face! He didn't seem to mind, I guess getting smacked in the head is just one of the hazards a population accepts when there is not concept of personal space.

2. Brining home the groceries on a bike. You've never really been grocery shoping unless you had to pedal 2 miles with a 12 pack of beer, a watermelon, 6 frozen pizzas and a frozen fish hanging from your bike. Crash that and you've just created a party for you and the 100 Chinese within arms reach!

3. Karaoke,,, hopefully everyone saw the last post. If I didn't mention it before I'll mention it now. In China it is rude if a host does not immediately replace a beverage once a guest has finished it, in Texas, you always finish the beer in front of you. End result, Chinese and Texans get along great!

4. Tsing Tao Beer (see above)

5. Starbucks in the office building. Same great coffee as in the states, same high price as in the states. I've thought about not going there as much (twice daily) because I felt guilty that the cost of my coffee represented a days wage for an entry level Mechanical Engineer here in the office. Don't worry about me though, the daily per diem is more than enough to cover the expense.

Okay, I've got to get back to work,,, I'll finish this with 5 - 10 tomorrow and maybe wrap this week up with a bonus "worst of" my first 3 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home